steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

Kinsi
This post was updated on .
I am currently working on a custom gamemode that uses popup HTML windows to implement some of its functions. My issue is that sometimes, steamwebhelper will spontaneously crash. When this happens CS:GO does not restore Motd functionality whatsoever until you restart the game. This looks like an oversight to me since when i manually end the steamwebhelper process trough the taskmanager the news/blog browser on CS:GO's homescreen will automatically restart and restore functionality, not so the Motd browser though.

The opened popup establishes a Websocket connection which is necessary for me. Apart from that, not much is going on. No flash, no html5 audio / video / frames or anything else that would explain the crashing apart from "normal" javascript stuff making me wonder why it does even crash in the first place.

Already tried to opt in / out of betas, clear the Steam browsers cookies & cache and so on. Is there something else that i could try possibly? For me locally, it consistenly crashes when i attempt to open a popup for the second time. It did not use to be remotely this bad but sort of became gradually worse. When trying the same thing on my Laptop / asking friends to try it it isnt remotely this bad either, but my problem is not that it crashes, my problem is that it wont restore when it does. If the crashing in itself could be fixed that'd be obviously great also.

Re: steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

Neuro Toxin
There are a couple of JavaScript functions that destroy the MOTD window.

One being alert and another being input.

While they work as expected the first time, the window is then unresponsive until you restart the game.

I still state Valve should allow a servers to open windows in the overlay browser.

Re: steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

Kinsi
This post was updated on .
Neuro Toxin wrote
One being alert and another being input.
Im using neither. As mentioned, apart from the websocket connection and some jquery / jqueryui stuff there really is not much going on. Its a really weird issue, and even more so after i've done the following test. I've just tried to make the opened popup a blank, empty .html file. Even in this case, my motd browser will crash after a couple times of triggering the window.open function. Demonstration: https://gfycat.com/FatWatchfulIrishredandwhitesetter

Right before starting csgo i cleared the steam browsers cookies and cache.

As you can see, on the third time opening it i get the loading cursor, indicating steamerrorreporter doing its thing and then its broken. Afterwards i am unable to use Motd whatsoever, rejoining doesnt help, only restarting the game fixes it. It didnt use to be remotely this bad for me, but now it is and i have no idea how to fix it. As mentioned beforehand, its not this frequent for my friends either.

This is what the Motd will look like when joining a server while its "broken". Essentially, the news browser but broken obviously as its prolly accessing the wrong steamwebhelper instance, if even (cant interact with it).

http://i.imgur.com/oUwAaMk.png

Edit:

im getting closer to the core of this issue. Apparently the problem is not OPENING the popups, its closing them. I can open as many popups as i want, but if i close two of them steamwebhelper will crash upon opening a new one. Demonstration: https://gfycat.com/WeakFoolishCheetah

Re: steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

Kinsi
Alright, this seems 100% reproducible. Just tried it on my tablet and got a friend of mine to test it as well with the same result.

- Open N popups, works without issues

- Close at least two

- Try to open a new one

- steamwebhelper crashes irreversibly.

I hope they fix this quick because this is pretty much the only thing holding me back from releasing a mode that i've worked on for 7 months. Any workaround, like using the steam overlay, would unfortunately not work out for me. The Popup browsers are the perfect implementation for that i use them for (except that they are not focused by default when opened, but thats just me being nit-picky).

Re: steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

Nicholas Hastings
Not sure if related, but there is a known webhelper crash that they (Alfred) was already working on a fix for as of a few days ago. A Steam Beta update just went out. Not sure if that is to contain the fix or not.

--
Nicholas Hastings
AlliedMods.net

Monday, July 17, 2017 8:18 PM
Alright, this seems 100% reproducible. Just tried it on my tablet and got a
friend of mine to test it as well with the same result.

- Open N popups, works without issues

- Close at least two

- Try to open a new one

- steamwebhelper crashes irreversibly.

I hope they fix this quick because this is pretty much the only thing
holding me back from releasing a mode that i've worked on for 7 months. Any
workaround, like using the steam overlay, would unfortunately not work out
for me. The Popup browsers are the perfect implementation for that i use
them for (except that they are not focused by default when opened, but thats
just me being nit-picky).

Monday, July 17, 2017 6:56 PM
[...]

Monday, July 17, 2017 5:20 PM
There are a couple of JavaScript functions that destroy the MOTD window.

One being alert and another being input.

While they work as expected the first time, the window is then unresponsive
until you restart the game.

I still state Valve should allow a servers to open windows in the overlay
browser.

Sunday, July 16, 2017 10:21 PM
[...]

Nicholas Hastings wrote
Not sure if related, but there is a known webhelper crash that they
(Alfred) was already working on a fix for as of a few days ago. A Steam
Beta update just went out. Not sure if that is to contain the fix or not.
Just downloaded the Beta update, that indeed does seem to fix this special case.

This thread still is relevant though IMO since the other issue is still existant (obviously, since its a bug from CS:GO and not Steam): IF the browser should crash (because it still does that spontaneously sometimes), functionality wont restore until you restart CS:GO. Seems like an oversight to me, and should not be that hard to fix.

Re: steamwebhelper crashing (Motd browser). A lot. And its not being restarted automatically

Nicholas Hastings
CS:GO uses Steam's ISteamHTMLSurface, so no, it wouldn't be a CS:GO bug, but instead an issue in Steam (Client).

--
Nicholas Hastings
AlliedMods.net

Monday, July 17, 2017 8:40 PM
Nicholas Hastings wrote

Just downloaded the Beta update, that indeed does seem to fix this special
case.

This thread still is relevant though IMO since the other issue is still
existant (obviously, since its a bug from CS:GO and not Steam): IF the
browser should crash, functionality wont restore until you restart CS:GO.
Seems like an oversight to me, and should not be that hard to fix.

Monday, July 17, 2017 8:27 PM
[...]

As i am not into the inner shenanigans of Steam: When killing steamwebhelper manually the browser on CS:GO's homescreen will automatically restart and restore, not so the Motd browser though. In this case, is the not-restarting of the motd browser really related to Steam, and not CS:GO?