Quantcast

poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Sazid Hossain
Hello,
I have been running CS:GO servers on windows all this time. After failing to reduce server var from 0.3xx to lower, I switched to ubuntu 16.10 with 4.9 low latency kernel. Sadly, the server is performing poorly while running a 20 slot 128 tick server. The sv fluctuates a lot. Sv jumps to as high as 20. While the var jumps to 2.0 ms. Any idea where is the problem?
My server configuration:
i7 6770
Asus P10s-WS
16GB DDR4 2133

Regards

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Robin Groppe

Hi,

from all my experiments i can say thats sv can gives an idea about the raw cpu performance, the lower the better.

I suppose that you have a potent cpu at this point. If you still have high and/or unstable sv try to set the cpu governor to performance to run the cpu at max. frequency at all times. Are you using an Intel or AMD cpu?

var, is a point of stable cpu frequency until it gets completely crazy when you hit performance bottlenecks.

Setting cpu governor to performance helps here, too.

There a a few kernel tweaks related to disabling energy saving features in the kernel config to push the numbers to the optimum.

Running a lowlatency kernel is not a wise idea at all, you will get better performance with the generic one.

If you have any further questions, just ask or contact me directly or join my mumble server at m.rbn.gr

Am 12.12.2016 um 15:22 schrieb Md. Sazid Hossain:
Hello,
I have been running CS:GO servers on windows all this time. After failing to reduce server var from 0.3xx to lower, I switched to ubuntu 16.10 with 4.9 low latency kernel. Sadly, the server is performing poorly while running a 20 slot 128 tick server. The sv fluctuates a lot. Sv jumps to as high as 20. While the var jumps to 2.0 ms. Any idea where is the problem?
My server configuration:
i7 6770
Asus P10s-WS
16GB DDR4 2133

Regards

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Robin Groppe

Sorry, totally overread the specs.

In this case I am pretty sure its a governor problem.

grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo  ;)  will confirm that.

Am 12.12.2016 um 15:38 schrieb Absurd Minds:
What's the output of

cat /proc/cpuinfo |grep "MHz"

On Dec 12, 2016 9:25 AM, "Md. Sazid Hossain" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I have been running CS:GO servers on windows all this time. After failing to reduce server var from 0.3xx to lower, I switched to ubuntu 16.10 with 4.9 low latency kernel. Sadly, the server is performing poorly while running a 20 slot 128 tick server. The sv fluctuates a lot. Sv jumps to as high as 20. While the var jumps to 2.0 ms. Any idea where is the problem?
My server configuration:
i7 6770
Asus P10s-WS
16GB DDR4 2133

Regards

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Sazid Hossain
Thanks to your link, condition has improved a lot. Now the sv is around ~4 and var is <~.7
Not sure about whether to switch back to windows or keep ubuntu for now
It might be overkill for 1 server. But I will be running:
2 20 slots casual
3 competitive servers
1 1v1 server
1 DM server.
All are 128 tick.
Not sure how the system will perform under linux.

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Robin Groppe
It does not really matter what operating system you use in terms of
performance.

In some cases Windows is faster and in other Linux is faster but we are
talking about barely measureable differences.

Everything else comes down to administrating and personal preference.

If that helped its a good sign. To make it permanent you have to edit
the /etc/default/cpufreq.conf or /etc/cpufreq.conf. Not sure right now.

Have you tried the generic kernel again?

I use a simple script for that.

Am 12.12.2016 um 16:51 schrieb Sazid Hossain:

> Thanks to your link, condition has improved a lot. Now the sv is around ~4
> and var is <~.7
> Not sure about whether to switch back to windows or keep ubuntu for now
> It might be overkill for 1 server. But I will be running:
> 2 20 slots casual
> 3 competitive servers
> 1 1v1 server
> 1 DM server.
> All are 128 tick.
> Not sure how the system will perform under linux.

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Mengyang Li
try pin each server to a certain core to avoid scheduling.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Sazid Hossain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks to your link, condition has improved a lot. Now the sv is around ~4
and var is <~.7
Not sure about whether to switch back to windows or keep ubuntu for now
It might be overkill for 1 server. But I will be running:
2 20 slots casual
3 competitive servers
1 1v1 server
1 DM server.
All are 128 tick.
Not sure how the system will perform under linux.

Best regards,
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ
Mengyang Li

How do I eventually achieve low var like FaceIt servers? Have tried many things but the var still spikes a lot.

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Calvin J

Get a faster processor. i7, and upper line E3's work great. (E3-1270v3/1271v3 or greater)

Your best performance will come from processors with high single thread performance.

Check out: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

--
Calvin Judy
Founder & CEO

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Sazid Hossain
Fixed it by doing some tweaks. It is now at matchmaking servers level. I wonder how faceit achieved 0.001 var

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Absurd Minds
You should share what "tweaks" you made for future readers.

On Dec 25, 2016 7:08 PM, "Sazid Hossain" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fixed it by doing some tweaks. It is now at matchmaking servers level. I
wonder how faceit achieved 0.001 var

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Fragmasters

What tweaks did you do? Tell us.

Fixed it by doing some tweaks. It is now at matchmaking servers level. I
wonder how faceit achieved 0.001 var

csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com
poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10. Hello, I have been running CS:GO servers on windows all this time. After failing to reduce server var from 0.3xx to lower, I switched to ubuntu 16.10...

list.valvesoftware.com
To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the Csgo_servers Archives. Using Csgo_servers: To post a message to all the list members ...

Re: poor performance of CS:GO server on Ubuntu 16.10

Sazid Hossain
Sorry for being late. For some unknown reason, I wasn't receiving the replies. The first issue was with the processor frequency. To properly run SRCDS at an optimum level, the CPU frequency needs to be at minimum 3 GHz or more for 20 slots 128 tick server. I followed the link given by Absurd Mind: Click Here. This forced the CPU frequency at 3.6 GHz. It somewhat fixed the SV. Secondly, with default kernel the var doesn't stay satisfactory. While in windows the var always stays ~0.3. After some googling, I found this article by one Ulrich Block: The optimal Gameroot & Gameserver Kernel . Followed this article to compile a 1000 tick kernel. I used the 4.9 mainline kernel. I faced an issue where one of my servers wouldn't boot without a monitor. If that happens to you, follow this link to fix it. Lastly, used taskset to assign processor affinity. This is a sample command which I use for my public servers: tmux new -d -s Pub1 taskset -c 0,1 ./CSGO_PUB.sh In this way, the servers are now at valve servers level sv and var wise. But it is not still perfect. Since I am busy with other stuff, I haven't dug deeper in it. Btw if you disable frequency scaling, you won't need the cpu governer stuff.