Server specs and OS recommendation.

12

Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
Hello!

I want to create a simple 5v5 comp/training server for my csgo team. From
what I found on the internet, a simple 2 core PC with at least 3gb of ram
should suffice for this.

I've ordered a pc like that off of Craigslist and it'll arrive tomorrow. I
have a question regarding the OS and type of hard drive.

I either have a 60gb ssd or a 1tb hdd. What would be better for running the
server? I don't know how much space a server would take.

The second question is wether to use Windows or linux (and which
distribution if that matters). If I decide to go with the 60gb ssd, I'll
probably opt for Linux as there won't be much space left on it if I put
windows on there.

Thanks in advance!

Cyborgium

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Maxwell Cody-2
Two cores with only three gigabytes of RAM is definitely on the low side
for SRCDS, but I think it'll be fine for a simple 5v5.

I'd recommend using Linux on that 60 gigabyte SSD if you're comfortable
with setting that up.

Distro-wise I'd recommend Debian 9 or Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS. With
those distros you'll probably find the most community support should
something go wrong.

...or if you're already familiar with Red Hat stuff you could use CentOS
7, but I wouldn't recommend it.

On 11/10/2017 05:51 AM, Cyborgium wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I want to create a simple 5v5 comp/training server for my csgo team. From
> what I found on the internet, a simple 2 core PC with at least 3gb of ram
> should suffice for this.
>
> I've ordered a pc like that off of Craigslist and it'll arrive tomorrow. I
> have a question regarding the OS and type of hard drive.
>
> I either have a 60gb ssd or a 1tb hdd. What would be better for running the
> server? I don't know how much space a server would take.
>
> The second question is wether to use Windows or linux (and which
> distribution if that matters). If I decide to go with the 60gb ssd, I'll
> probably opt for Linux as there won't be much space left on it if I put
> windows on there.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cyborgium
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
The pc has got 4gb ram and 2x2.8ghz. You think that's doable? From what I
read on the internet, 500mb ram is usually used while the server isn't in
idle for 5v5. They mentioned this rule of thumbv 1 core per server plus 1
core for the OS. The more people on the server, the higher the clock
frequency of the core.

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Sven 'Chaos' Pachnit
Hey,

first of all a server installation takes approx. 11GB in VPK files (which you could share across instances), 3 GB of maps (which also could be shared) and 2GB of other data. My competitive instance is 6GB (+the 11GB VPK).
CPU depends a lot on eventual plugins and if you have bots on the server. My instances RAM usage (RSS) ranges from 500MB to roughly 1GB.

CPU usage for my competitive instance with me + 9 bots: ~50% (one core)
CPU usage for my gungame instance with me + 13 bots: ~70% (one core)
on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

Then I would suggest a linux distribution (I prefer Ubuntu) but that is because I would never host anything on Windows except AD or Exchange :)

Cheers,
Chaos

Am 10.11.2017 um 12:51 schrieb Cyborgium <[hidden email]>:

> Hello!
>
> I want to create a simple 5v5 comp/training server for my csgo team. From
> what I found on the internet, a simple 2 core PC with at least 3gb of ram
> should suffice for this.
>
> I've ordered a pc like that off of Craigslist and it'll arrive tomorrow. I
> have a question regarding the OS and type of hard drive.
>
> I either have a 60gb ssd or a 1tb hdd. What would be better for running the
> server? I don't know how much space a server would take.
>
> The second question is wether to use Windows or linux (and which
> distribution if that matters). If I decide to go with the 60gb ssd, I'll
> probably opt for Linux as there won't be much space left on it if I put
> windows on there.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cyborgium
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
Sven 'Chaos' Pachnit wrote

> Hey,
>
> first of all a server installation takes approx. 11GB in VPK files (which
> you could share across instances), 3 GB of maps (which also could be
> shared) and 2GB of other data. My competitive instance is 6GB (+the 11GB
> VPK).
> CPU depends a lot on eventual plugins and if you have bots on the server.
> My instances RAM usage (RSS) ranges from 500MB to roughly 1GB.
>
> CPU usage for my competitive instance with me + 9 bots: ~50% (one core)
> CPU usage for my gungame instance with me + 13 bots: ~70% (one core)
> on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
>
> Then I would suggest a linux distribution (I prefer Ubuntu) but that is
> because I would never host anything on Windows except AD or Exchange :)
>
> Cheers,
> Chaos
>
> Am 10.11.2017 um 12:51 schrieb Cyborgium &lt;

> anne@

> &gt;:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I want to create a simple 5v5 comp/training server for my csgo team. From
>> what I found on the internet, a simple 2 core PC with at least 3gb of ram
>> should suffice for this.
>>
>> I've ordered a pc like that off of Craigslist and it'll arrive tomorrow.
>> have a question regarding the OS and type of hard drive.
>>
>> I either have a 60gb ssd or a 1tb hdd. What would be better for running
>> the
>> server? I don't know how much space a server would take.
>>
>> The second question is wether to use Windows or linux (and which
>> distribution if that matters). If I decide to go with the 60gb ssd, I'll
>> probably opt for Linux as there won't be much space left on it if I put
>> windows on there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Cyborgium
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Thanks for your detailed reply!

Would the usage be the same if the bots were to be players? It might be a
stupid question but I don't know if that changes things or not.

The CPU thats in the build is a Core 2 E8400 @3GHz though the board does
allow overclocking so I might try that. Do you think this would be enough?

Regards,
Cyborgium

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Maxwell Cody-2
Bots are more resource intensive than real players.

> Would the usage be the same if the bots were to be players? It might be a
> stupid question but I don't know if that changes things or not.

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
Absurd Minds wrote
> I agree with Maxwell on all points. SSD for sure, and personally I
> recommend Ubuntu because it's the officially supported valve distro.
>
> On Nov 10, 2017 7:18 AM, "Maxwell Cody" &lt;

> maxwellcody@

> &gt; wrote:
>
> Two cores with only three gigabytes of RAM is definitely on the low side
> for SRCDS, but I think it'll be fine for a simple 5v5.
>
> I'd recommend using Linux on that 60 gigabyte SSD if you're comfortable
> with setting that up.
>
> Distro-wise I'd recommend Debian 9 or Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS. With those
> distros you'll probably find the most community support should something
> go
> wrong.
>
> ...or if you're already familiar with Red Hat stuff you could use CentOS
> 7,
> but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've used Kubunto 17.10, 17.04 and 16.04 before. Could I use that aswell or
should I just go with Ubuntu?

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Maxwell Cody-2
Do you mean Kubuntu?

If so, Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with KDE preinstalled, which is a desktop
environment.

I would recommend avoiding desktop software entirely for a server. You
can find many guides on setting up SRCDS through the command line on
Ubuntu Server.

On 11/10/2017 06:45 AM, Cyborgium wrote:

> I've used Kubunto 17.10, 17.04 and 16.04 before. Could I use that aswell or
> should I just go with Ubuntu?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
This post was updated on .
Maxwell Cody-2 wrote
> Do you mean Kubuntu?
>
> If so, Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with KDE preinstalled, which is a desktop
> environment.
>
> I would recommend avoiding desktop software entirely for a server. You
> can find many guides on setting up SRCDS through the command line on
> Ubuntu Server.

Yep.. typo.

Alright, thanks! I thought Kubuntu was more than just that. Thanks for your
help!

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Stealth Mode
I will just say this. SRCDS was released in Oct. of 2003. The system specs for that era were nowhere near what you are running your 5v5 scrim/practice server on. Considering back then almost no os read over 3gb of ram to begin with (os limitations of windows platforms). That said, the ticrate was what most server owners/admins wound up adjusting when lag/performance issues arose.

Here is a handy guide at valve for installs.

Another good article on what, and how system requirements (bandwidth mostly) are determined.

And finally this article on Toms Hardware outlines system requirements just fine....modify it slightly for go. However, dont worry about high loads of ram, etc. for 5v5. You are not rendering anything, you are just running a dedicated server.

Hope this helps clear the air for you, and your clan/group. We ran 4 servers on one dual core box (xeon). It had 3gb of ram, and a dedicated bridged cable connection back then. 2x5v5 scrim servers, 1x20 man pub, and a 10 man test/practice/boot camp server. Well, before we started renting rackspace and providing servers for others.

-Stealth

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:51 AM, Cyborgium <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Okay so the PC arrived today, I popped in the SSD, and I got myself a usb for
the linux installation. People recommended Ubuntu, however, there are
multiple version of it. Should I go with Ubuntu server or Ubuntu desktop?

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
Alex wrote
> Ubuntu server, desktop will only take more memory. You will have to use
> the
> terminal to install the server.

Thanks for the info! I was gonna use the terminal either ;)

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Stealth Mode
Is anyone else getting hit with some kind of spam from a talkingmail.xyz mail server when replying to this topic? I got hit with a bunch of personal site ads when I replied to this topic.

Always run server OS, whether linux or windows. It is built to run better with server type applications.

eg:

Linux installs:

Redhat Enterprise

Ubuntu Server

Debian

Windows installs:

2012

2016

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Cyborgium <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alex wrote
> Ubuntu server, desktop will only take more memory. You will have to use
> the
> terminal to install the server.

Thanks for the info! I was gonna use the terminal either ;)

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Cyborgium
Hello,

I set up my server fine, I can connect from my gaming PC without any trouble
via my WAN ip. However, when I try to invite other peopl over, I can't
connect. As far as I know, I've done the port forwarding the way it should
be (I forwarded 27000 up to 27040). sv_lan is set to 0.

Any idea what the problem could be?

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Server specs and OS recommendation.

Charalampos Galanis
Hello,

I always wondered if the current players playing on a srcds (csgo, tf2) is linear or exponential to the upload bandiwth used by the srcds.

Στις 11 Νοε 2017 22:50, ο χρήστης "Cyborgium" <[hidden email]> έγραψε: