Quantcast

Reporting cheaters

12

Reporting cheaters

a2115781
Does reporting cheaters on their profile actually do anything? I was wondering if submitting proof of cheaters would be enough to get them admin assigned cooldowns so they could no longer play on matchmaking servers.

This guy (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kureneko/ ID: 0:1:56990980) was speed hacking and aimbotting in a competitive matchmaking game, and we couldn't do anything except wait for the game to end.

He has screenshots on his own profile of him cheating in css:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108133681
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110580311

Demo of him cheating in csgo if the screenshots he took himself aren't enough proof: http://www.mediafire.com/?lwtcbp6j2228lua

His friend http://steamcommunity.com/id/13874893274/ was in the game with him and stopping him from getting kicked. I suspect this http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975901831 is the cheaters alt account as they have the same name and are both friends with the same person.
ics

Re: Reporting cheaters

ics
You can't report cheaters in any other way than through their profile.
Demos are useless, screenshots are useless too because their origin
cannot be verified and they can be faked. Doesn't matter if the demos
come from official Valve servers.

VAC is automatic and reportind does help. It makes VAC to watch for that
player more closely. This is what once a Valve person said on
Steampowered forums.

Now, if someone is cheating, there is nothing else you can do except
hope that he uses some cheat that VAC detects and bans for (with a delay
of 3 days to weeks). It isn't ever instant.

Personally, as a server admin, i've banned the cheaters off my servers
or my admins have do so too. When we have verified cheater, i make a
report through that players profile. Tell what he or she did, what game
and what cheats were used. Just because it takes less than 30 seconds to
do.

-ics

10.12.2012 21:21, a2115781 kirjoitti:

> Does reporting cheaters on their profile actually do anything? I was
> wondering if submitting proof of cheaters would be enough to get them admin
> assigned cooldowns so they could no longer play on matchmaking servers.
>
> This guy (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kureneko/ ID: 0:1:56990980) was speed
> hacking and aimbotting in a competitive matchmaking game, and we couldn't do
> anything except wait for the game to end.
>
> He has screenshots on his own profile of him cheating in css:
> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108133681
> http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110580311
>
> Demo of him cheating in csgo if the screenshots he took himself aren't
> enough proof: http://www.mediafire.com/?lwtcbp6j2228lua
>
> His friend http://steamcommunity.com/id/13874893274/ was in the game with
> him and stopping him from getting kicked. I suspect this
> http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975901831 is the cheaters alt
> account as they have the same name and are both friends with the same
> person.

Re: Reporting cheaters

Vitaliy Genkin
Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and providing the details. We did more investigation on our side and agreed with the cheating verdict. We assigned the appropriate CS:GO official violations and they will not be able to play on official game servers.

Re: Reporting cheaters

AnAkIn

If he's cheating, why aren't you vac banning him then?

Le 10 déc. 2012 23:00, "Vitaliy Genkin" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and providing the details. We did more investigation on our side and agreed with the cheating verdict. We assigned the appropriate CS:GO official violations and they will not be able to play on official game servers.

Re: Reporting cheaters

Bruno Garcia
@Vitaliy Genkin:
Is this the appropriate way of reporting cheaters?
Does the profile report violation actually work? I've never seen VAC Bans applied when reporting cheaters through a profile report.

@Anakin: He's Vac banned on CS:GO , he can't play on official servers (vac enabled servers), that's what he ment.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM, AnAkIn <[hidden email]> wrote:

If he's cheating, why aren't you vac banning him then?

Le 10 déc. 2012 23:00, "Vitaliy Genkin" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and providing the details. We did more investigation on our side and agreed with the cheating verdict. We assigned the appropriate CS:GO official violations and they will not be able to play on official game servers.

Re: Reporting cheaters

Absurd Minds

That's not at all how I read "official servers". It sounds like he can play on other servers.

He probably didn't get a vac ban because that's not how vac works.

On Dec 10, 2012 7:13 PM, "Bruno Garcia" <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Vitaliy Genkin:
Is this the appropriate way of reporting cheaters?
Does the profile report violation actually work? I've never seen VAC Bans applied when reporting cheaters through a profile report.

@Anakin: He's Vac banned on CS:GO , he can't play on official servers (vac enabled servers), that's what he ment.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM, AnAkIn <[hidden email]> wrote:

If he's cheating, why aren't you vac banning him then?

Le 10 déc. 2012 23:00, "Vitaliy Genkin" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and providing the details. We did more investigation on our side and agreed with the cheating verdict. We assigned the appropriate CS:GO official violations and they will not be able to play on official game servers.

Re: Reporting cheaters

mf_meteora
Valve why you not add official thread on steam forum especially for report the suspect cheaters, abuse the game and it will make easy to us to quick action?
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung Teruuusss...!

Because you end up in a gray situation in where anyone can report anyone else. While this level of detail helps to confirm that this wasn't a faked report - just taking any kind of report from any user leads to a very messy situation.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Valve why you not add official thread on steam forum especially for report the suspect cheaters, abuse the game and it will make easy to us to quick action?
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung Teruuusss...!

Re: Reporting cheaters

Absurd Minds
I don't think he was implying you have to accept any report from
anybody. Clearly there would be minimum requirements of detail, such
as recorded demos.

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Gordon Reynolds
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because you end up in a gray situation in where anyone can report anyone
> else. While this level of detail helps to confirm that this wasn't a faked
> report - just taking any kind of report from any user leads to a very messy
> situation.
>

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Valve why you not add official thread on steam forum especially for report
>> the suspect cheaters, abuse the game and it will make easy to us to quick
>> action?
>> Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung
>> Teruuusss...!

Re: Reporting cheaters

Christopher Meng

Sometimes VAC is useless......

Re: Reporting cheaters

mf_meteora
Maybe VAC not perfect without help from players
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung Teruuusss...!

Agree with Absurd Minds. I think valve can make an official thread to report any the cheater suspect with minimun proof requirements like screenshot, account steam link, server IP, record demos, etc. It would more help than we report cheater to steam support because take a long time to response.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Because you end up in a gray situation in where anyone can report anyone
> else. While this level of detail helps to confirm that this wasn't a faked
> report - just taking any kind of report from any user leads to a very messy
> situation.
>

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Valve why you not add official thread on steam forum especially for report
>> the suspect cheaters, abuse the game and it will make easy to us to quick
>> action?
>> Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung
>> Teruuusss...!

Re: Reporting cheaters

Gordon Reynolds
This is a great idea but you have to look at it from a dev side. There would have to be someone that goes through this thread, and then verifies the integrity of the evidence - the only one you've reported that isn't easily fakable would be the demo recording. But even then you must load the demo up, and monitor the player in question - you're talking more than a 10 minute process for each ban appeal - and that's being generous.

The problem is there isn't a lot of "direct evidence" someone can get outside of a demo, and even then that's not really perfect proof sometimes. There are a lot of good ideas on the table for catching and reporting cheaters but there is no good way to sort through all the noise to catch the few people unfortunate enough to "get caught" by such a manual reporting process.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Because you end up in a gray situation in where anyone can report anyone
> else. While this level of detail helps to confirm that this wasn't a faked
> report - just taking any kind of report from any user leads to a very messy
> situation.
>

> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Valve why you not add official thread on steam forum especially for report
>> the suspect cheaters, abuse the game and it will make easy to us to quick
>> action?
>> Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung
>> Teruuusss...!

- Gordon Reynolds

Re: Reporting cheaters

Christopher Meng
Well,if Valve can't find a good way to solve the problem...I don't
know the reason I can play afterwards.

Same as the others,I hope we can play in a "clean" environment as
possible as we can.

--

*Yours sincerely,*
*Christopher Meng*

Ambassador/Contributor of Fedora Project and many others.
http://cicku.me
http://mirrors.cicku.me

Re: Reporting cheaters

mf_meteora
How about add replay system only for new classic competitive matchmaking like in dota 2 so we can report based on match Id only and make valve to ban any suspect cheaters with quick?
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung Teruuusss...!

ics

Re: Reporting cheaters

ics
Are you serious? You know he's cheating, ban his access to official
servers but leave him to access every community server and do harm
there? What madness is this? He's out of our hands now, let the
community servers be on their own sandbox with him? Makes no damn sense
to me! Why isn't he VAC banned?

-ics

10.12.2012 23:59, Vitaliy Genkin kirjoitti:

> Thank you for bringing this up to our attention and providing the details. We did more investigation on our side and agreed with the cheating verdict. We assigned the appropriate CS:GO official violations and they will not be able to play on official game servers.

Nomaan Ahmad
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3025067

This dude managed to get VAC banned.

On 11 December 2012 07:26, AnAkIn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Asher Baker
And now we see the reason for these new "Official Violations" -
banning people without the technical proof required by VAC.
This can go nowhere but badly.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Nomaan Ahmad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3025067
>
> This dude managed to get VAC banned.
>

> On 11 December 2012 07:26, AnAkIn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> He's not vac banned, check his profile.
>>
>> Le 11 déc. 2012 01:13, "Bruno Garcia" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>>> @Vitaliy Genkin:
>>> Is this the appropriate way of reporting cheaters?
>>> Does the profile report violation actually work? I've never seen VAC Bans
>>> applied when reporting cheaters through a profile report.
>>>
>>> @Anakin: He's Vac banned on CS:GO , he can't play on official servers
>>> (vac enabled servers), that's what he ment.

Re: Reporting cheaters

AnAkIn

This is nothing new, people have already been manually banned before.

12