Linux server sv/var spikes

123

Linux server sv/var spikes

Andreas Willinger

Hello,

since the last update (September 11th) I and many others (see https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=247979 on the last pages) are getting periodic sv spikes.

They are usually happening every 1.5-2 seconds and make the sv go from normal 5-8 to 30+ (red) and therefore causing the entire server to freeze for half a second.

As far as I’ve seen, they happen when there are 20+ players online, map doesn’t really matter (even getting lags on inferno) – some maps earlier, some maps later.

Disabling SourceMod doesn’t change anything and it only started happening after the last update.

Does anyone else experience these issues too and  if yes, is there any official stance from Valve regarding them?

- Andreas

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

MiShU # gameserver-syndicate.de

I have to confirm, sadly.

Gesendet mit AquaMail für Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com

Am 17. September 2014 21:50:37 schrieb "Andreas Willinger" <[hidden email]>:

Hello,

since the last update (September 11th) I and many others (see https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=247979 on the last pages) are getting periodic sv spikes.

They are usually happening every 1.5-2 seconds and make the sv go from normal 5-8 to 30+ (red) and therefore causing the entire server to freeze for half a second.

As far as I’ve seen, they happen when there are 20+ players online, map doesn’t really matter (even getting lags on inferno) – some maps earlier, some maps later.

Disabling SourceMod doesn’t change anything and it only started happening after the last update.

Does anyone else experience these issues too and  if yes, is there any official stance from Valve regarding them?

- Andreas

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Saint K.

Same thing over here. I thought it was on our end at first, but the server doesn’t show any issues within the OS.

Saint K.

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Ejziponken
We have the same problem on all our CSGO servers on three different machines.

BUT I cant say if its a CSGO problem or a Sourcemod problem. All I know is that it happen after last weeks patch.

Our sv/var spikes red every 5-10 seconds.

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:04:13 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes

Same thing over here. I thought it was on our end at first, but the server doesn’t show any issues within the OS.

Saint K.

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

klexen
This post was updated on .
I'm also noticing the spikes when 20 players are in the server. Average var when when the spikes aren't happening is great, but when the spikes happen choke shoots up to 8-9% and SV goes RED. Happens on all my linux servers since the patch.

20 players is the max my servers support, so I've been wondering if the spikes are occurring due to people constantly trying to connect while the server is full?

Jason Kingsley
-[US/WEST/128]-
iepic.gameme.com

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Ejziponken
Oh yeah I forgot to say, we are using Linux too.

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:12:55 -0700

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> I'm also noticing the spikes when 20 players are in the server. Average var
> when when the spikes aren't happening is great, but when the spikes happen
> choke shoots up to 8-9% and SV goes RED. Happens on all my linux servers
> since the patch.
>
> 20 players in the max my server supports, so I've been wondering if the
> spikes are occurring due to people constantly trying to connect while the
> server is full?
>
> Jason Kingsley
> -[US/WEST/128]-
> iepic.gameme.com

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Intoxicated bawNg
All linux servers have had constant performance issues since the last update and are not limited to any specific size server, mods or map configuration. The spikes also occur often on 128 tick servers which have 10 players connected without being full or having players attempting to connect. These servers are using about 1/3rd of a physical CPU core and at times the spiking is extremely bad causing major disruptions to gameplay.

This is a major issue for all competitive matches and needs to be investigated and solved by Valve as soon as possible.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Ejziponken - <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot to say, we are using Linux too.

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:12:55 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> I'm also noticing the spikes when 20 players are in the server. Average var

> when when the spikes aren't happening is great, but when the spikes happen
> choke shoots up to 8-9% and SV goes RED. Happens on all my linux servers
> since the patch.
>
> 20 players in the max my server supports, so I've been wondering if the
> spikes are occurring due to people constantly trying to connect while the
> server is full?
>
> Jason Kingsley
> -[US/WEST/128]-
> iepic.gameme.com

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Absurd Minds

I'm only experiencing the issue on two of my sourcemod servers, the two that run splewis's 1v1 plugin. I have yet to determine if this is a coincidence.

On Sep 17, 2014 4:21 PM, "Intoxicated bawNg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
All linux servers have had constant performance issues since the last update and are not limited to any specific size server, mods or map configuration. The spikes also occur often on 128 tick servers which have 10 players connected without being full or having players attempting to connect. These servers are using about 1/3rd of a physical CPU core and at times the spiking is extremely bad causing major disruptions to gameplay.

This is a major issue for all competitive matches and needs to be investigated and solved by Valve as soon as possible.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Ejziponken - <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot to say, we are using Linux too.

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:12:55 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> I'm also noticing the spikes when 20 players are in the server. Average var

> when when the spikes aren't happening is great, but when the spikes happen
> choke shoots up to 8-9% and SV goes RED. Happens on all my linux servers
> since the patch.
>
> 20 players in the max my server supports, so I've been wondering if the
> spikes are occurring due to people constantly trying to connect while the
> server is full?
>
> Jason Kingsley
> -[US/WEST/128]-
> iepic.gameme.com

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Ejziponken
Well I have the problems on my DM servers and those are not running the 1on1 plugin.
But I have other servers on the same machine running the 1on1 plugin.

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:25:57 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

I'm only experiencing the issue on two of my sourcemod servers, the two that run splewis's 1v1 plugin. I have yet to determine if this is a coincidence.

On Sep 17, 2014 4:21 PM, "Intoxicated bawNg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
All linux servers have had constant performance issues since the last update and are not limited to any specific size server, mods or map configuration. The spikes also occur often on 128 tick servers which have 10 players connected without being full or having players attempting to connect. These servers are using about 1/3rd of a physical CPU core and at times the spiking is extremely bad causing major disruptions to gameplay.

This is a major issue for all competitive matches and needs to be investigated and solved by Valve as soon as possible.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Ejziponken - <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot to say, we are using Linux too.

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:12:55 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> I'm also noticing the spikes when 20 players are in the server. Average var

> when when the spikes aren't happening is great, but when the spikes happen
> choke shoots up to 8-9% and SV goes RED. Happens on all my linux servers
> since the patch.
>
> 20 players in the max my server supports, so I've been wondering if the
> spikes are occurring due to people constantly trying to connect while the
> server is full?
>
> Jason Kingsley
> -[US/WEST/128]-
> iepic.gameme.com

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Absurd Minds

My deathmatch server seems to be running alright, but tbh it's my least popular server so it's possible I simply haven't filled it enough.

However, I'm not experiencing the issue on servers on the same machine anymore that are not using sourcemod.

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:25:57 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:25:57 -0400
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

I'm only experiencing the issue on two of my sourcemod servers, the two that run splewis's 1v1 plugin. I have yet to determine if this is a coincidence.

On Sep 17, 2014 4:21 PM, "Intoxicated bawNg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
All linux servers have had constant performance issues since the last update and are not limited to any specific size server, mods or map configuration. The spikes also occur often on 128 tick servers which have 10 players connected without being full or having players attempting to connect. These servers are using about 1/3rd of a physical CPU core and at times the spiking is extremely bad causing major disruptions to gameplay.

This is a major issue for all competitive matches and needs to be investigated and solved by Valve as soon as possible.

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Ejziponken - <[hidden email]> wrote:
Oh yeah I forgot to say, we are using Linux too.

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:12:55 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> I'm also noticing the spikes when 20 players are in the server. Average var

> when when the spikes aren't happening is great, but when the spikes happen
> choke shoots up to 8-9% and SV goes RED. Happens on all my linux servers
> since the patch.
>
> 20 players in the max my server supports, so I've been wondering if the
> spikes are occurring due to people constantly trying to connect while the
> server is full?
>
> Jason Kingsley
> -[US/WEST/128]-
> iepic.gameme.com

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Theo Waigel
Hello,

we can also confirm this and have the same problems on serveral boxes. We checked everything in the network and in the servers and couldn't find anything which is wrong.
We have lots of support tickets and complains because of this problem. Most of the customers told us that it has started in the time range of the mentioned update.

Lots of customers tell us that it happens when there are 10 players on the server. But CPU and RAM usage is ok.

We are using Debian stable with the kernel 3.0.89-ub-100hz on a dual Intel Xeon CPU E5-2640 v2 @ 2.00GHz with HT enabled (2x 8 cores + HT, the CPUs are only some month old).
It would be nice when other people with other kernels and CPUs can confirm that they have also the problem that we know that this is not kernel or CPU related.

Thanks.

Hello,

since the last update (September 11th) I and many others (see https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=247979 on the last pages) are getting periodic sv spikes.

They are usually happening every 1.5-2 seconds and make the sv go from normal 5-8 to 30+ (red) and therefore causing the entire server to freeze for half a second.

As far as I’ve seen, they happen when there are 20+ players online, map doesn’t really matter (even getting lags on inferno) – some maps earlier, some maps later.

Disabling SourceMod doesn’t change anything and it only started happening after the last update.

Does anyone else experience these issues too and  if yes, is there any official stance from Valve regarding them?

- Andreas

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Ejziponken
We have the same problem with gentoo and Intel Xeon E5-2687W v2.

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Wojtek Arabczyk
> Lots of customers tell us that it happens when there are 10 players on the server. But CPU and RAM usage is ok.
>
> We are using Debian stable with the kernel 3.0.89-ub-100hz on a dual Intel Xeon CPU E5-2640 v2 @ 2.00GHz with HT enabled (2x 8 cores + HT, the CPUs are only some month old).
> It would be nice when other people with other kernels and CPUs can confirm that they have also the problem that we know that this is not kernel or CPU related.

Your server is heavily underpowered. It’s been all around this list that
you need at least a 3GHz processor without HT (severe slowdowns occur
due to improper threading).

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Ejziponken
Thats is not the problem. Since the last two patches the servers have STARTED to lag. It was fine BEFORE the patches.
I think this lag might be the end of CSGO because nobody seem to know what the problem is.

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:24:51 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> > Lots of customers tell us that it happens when there are 10 players on the server. But CPU and RAM usage is ok.
> >
> > We are using Debian stable with the kernel 3.0.89-ub-100hz on a dual Intel Xeon CPU E5-2640 v2 @ 2.00GHz with HT enabled (2x 8 cores + HT, the CPUs are only some month old).
> > It would be nice when other people with other kernels and CPUs can confirm that they have also the problem that we know that this is not kernel or CPU related.
>
> Your server is heavily underpowered. It’s been all around this list that
> you need at least a 3GHz processor without HT (severe slowdowns occur
> due to improper threading).

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Dennis
Somebody always know what the problem is. Valve do. :)

Den 19-09-2014 kl. 17:10 skrev Ejziponken -:
Thats is not the problem. Since the last two patches the servers have STARTED to lag. It was fine BEFORE the patches.
I think this lag might be the end of CSGO because nobody seem to know what the problem is.

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 16:24:51 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> > Lots of customers tell us that it happens when there are 10 players on the server. But CPU and RAM usage is ok.
> >
> > We are using Debian stable with the kernel 3.0.89-ub-100hz on a dual Intel Xeon CPU E5-2640 v2 @ 2.00GHz with HT enabled (2x 8 cores + HT, the CPUs are only some month old).
> > It would be nice when other people with other kernels and CPUs can confirm that they have also the problem that we know that this is not kernel or CPU related.
>
> Your server is heavily underpowered. It’s been all around this list that
> you need at least a 3GHz processor without HT (severe slowdowns occur
> due to improper threading).

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Wojtek Arabczyk
> Thats is not the problem. Since the last two patches the servers have STARTED to lag. It was fine BEFORE the patches.
> I think this lag might be the end of CSGO because nobody seem to know what the problem is.

Do you have some monitoring solution applied to your server?

(by monitoring i mean measuring cpu time, IRQ’s etc, nagios/cacti/munin?)

With 20 peps on the server a 2GHz will hardly be able to keep up
with the processing (even at tick rate 64).

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Ejziponken
Nope. But My servers are 3.5Ghz and we have lags on all 3 machines since the last two CSGO updates.

> From: [hidden email]

> Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:26:18 +0200
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Csgo_servers] Linux server sv/var spikes
>
> > Thats is not the problem. Since the last two patches the servers have STARTED to lag. It was fine BEFORE the patches.
> > I think this lag might be the end of CSGO because nobody seem to know what the problem is.
>
> Do you have some monitoring solution applied to your server?
>
> (by monitoring i mean measuring cpu time, IRQ’s etc, nagios/cacti/munin?)
>
> With 20 peps on the server a 2GHz will hardly be able to keep up
> with the processing (even at tick rate 64).

Re: Linux server sv/var spikes

Gonz

We have this problem  too

Even on empty, naked servers without extensions or plugins

123