Getting current server version via API?

Sven 'Chaos' Pachnit
Hey guys,

Since I don’t want to completely automate updating my servers I’m looking for some way to fetch the current server version in some way.
The only way I have at the moment is to notice that my game has updated or look at the log for „Your server has to restart to get the most recent version…“.

Unfortunately the Steam web API doesn’t return a thing for appid 740:

        [10] pry(main)> SteamApi.get_schema_for_game(730)["gameVersion"]
        => "238"
        [11] pry(main)> SteamApi.get_schema_for_game(740)["gameVersion"]
        => nil

The version information I fetch via RCON looks like this:

        version : 1.35.6.5/13565 426/6641

I assume it’s "version/build something/something“.

Any idea?

Cheers!

Re: Getting current server version via API?

Nicholas Hastings
https://api.steampowered.com/ISteamApps/UpToDateCheck/v1?appid=730&version=1

Use the UpToDateCheck Web API with the client app id and the current version you have (from steam.inf, PatchVersion). It will tell you whether your version is able to be listed on the master, and what the current, minimum required version is.

--
Nicholas Hastings
AlliedMods.net

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:07 AM
[...]

As I just said, use the client app id, 730. This is what the server also uses at runtime. App 740 is only used to acquire the files for it.

--
Nicholas Hastings
AlliedMods.net

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:11 AM
UpToDateCheck does not work on app 740.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:10 AM
[...]

Thank you, I didn’t know about this endpoint.

I guess I will use this one but for the record I found an alternative way but it’s CS:GO specific.

This gives you the health information that is displayed by steamstat.us but also the current version.

Cheers!