Custom files exploit

123

Custom files exploit

Stealth Mode
Headsup admins/owners. Might want to disable custom files till valve addresses this issue brought to their attention a month ago.
There is an exploit where any client with minor skill can inject custom files with all types of malicious code. From hacks in weapon skins, to ransomware in custom .bsp, to remote backdoors in custom spray paints.

The exploit is injecting code into any image, sound, or data file. You can take weapon skins (csgo), sound files, spray paint image files, even .bsp/etc. and inject hack code, or actual ransomware, viruses, or Trojans/rootkits directly into a server cache, or client cache via the custom file.

Might want to disable custom files till valve decides to correct this issue.

-StealthMode

Re: Custom files exploit

iNilo
Sure,

But you have anything to back this up? (don't take it the wrong way)

Nilo.

Headsup admins/owners. Might want to disable custom files till valve addresses this issue brought to their attention a month ago.
There is an exploit where any client with minor skill can inject custom files with all types of malicious code. From hacks in weapon skins, to ransomware in custom .bsp, to remote backdoors in custom spray paints.

The exploit is injecting code into any image, sound, or data file. You can take weapon skins (csgo), sound files, spray paint image files, even .bsp/etc. and inject hack code, or actual ransomware, viruses, or Trojans/rootkits directly into a server cache, or client cache via the custom file.

Might want to disable custom files till valve decides to correct this issue.

-StealthMode

Re: Custom files exploit

Nicolas Bush
PoC||GTFO Chris. I mean despite the fact that clients don't upload textures, that you think it is a possible vector for a batch file to be executed after simply being put into memory shows how clueless you are. If you have anything productive please post, otherwise stop abusing computer security vernacular.

-nfbush

On 9 Oct 2017 11:47 p.m., "Stealth Mode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

devu4
This is such a pointless thread, no proof and a big headed clueless guy
coming out with irrelevant crap!

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Custom files exploit

Nathaniel Theis
doubt.

could there be bugs in the cnetchan sendfile implementation? Definitely. Could there be bugs in one of the many scary parsers that run on untrusted code? Yes.

I should know.

"And old school knowledge of how to inject image files with malicious code (NetSec/ITSec)" this is not a meaningful sentence.

if you want to spread fud, at least say, idk, "there's another buffer overflow in the .mdl code". There probably is, honestly.

that would be convincing.
On Oct 9, 2017 3:46 PM, "Stealth Mode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Saint K.
Do you have a POC?

Re: Custom files exploit

Stealth Mode
No disrespect intended but you have no idea what you are speaking about. The custom "texture", whether that be a .BMP, .jpg,.gif,etc. can be injected with any code you want. This not only can then be selected as a spray paint (which then transports to the server and is stored in cache which is redistributed to the clients and then rendered on their screens), but also as a weapons skin, model skin, or texture stored in a .bsp wad file.

These files can be manipulated by injection of whatever code you want. Suggest you research code injections into graphical files. And learn networking, software, and operating system environments. Then study NetSec/ITSec. This is an old way to hack computers. And go especially with its market of weapon skins, and any hl mod with the spray paints, are especially vulnerable. This isn't even touching on the non encrypted UDP packet data that also can be injected.

So please research and know the field before speaking opinions not grounded in education.

-StealthMode

On Oct 9, 2017 19:57, "Francois Dupont" <[hidden email]> wrote:
PoC||GTFO Chris. I mean despite the fact that clients don't upload textures, that you think it is a possible vector for a batch file to be executed after simply being put into memory shows how clueless you are. If you have anything productive please post, otherwise stop abusing computer security vernacular.

-nfbush

On 9 Oct 2017 11:47 p.m., "Stealth Mode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Like literally, I could place an autoexec batch script in a spraypaint, or a weapon skin, or any custom file. And once it hits memory (server cache) it will execute whatever is wanted.

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 11:59 AM, iNilo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sure,

But you have anything to back this up? (don't take it the wrong way)

Nilo.

Headsup admins/owners. Might want to disable custom files till valve addresses this issue brought to their attention a month ago.
There is an exploit where any client with minor skill can inject custom files with all types of malicious code. From hacks in weapon skins, to ransomware in custom .bsp, to remote backdoors in custom spray paints.

The exploit is injecting code into any image, sound, or data file. You can take weapon skins (csgo), sound files, spray paint image files, even .bsp/etc. and inject hack code, or actual ransomware, viruses, or Trojans/rootkits directly into a server cache, or client cache via the custom file.

Might want to disable custom files till valve decides to correct this issue.

-StealthMode

Re: Custom files exploit

Stealth Mode
This email is fine for a POC. Far as the exploit, for those who arent familiar, this is an example.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Saint K. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have a POC?

Re: Custom files exploit

Stealth Mode
Actually my information is grounded in fact and 100% replicatable if you know the field. I've listed a few resources to educate yourself. Please refrain from speaking if you do not have an education in ITSec.

The links I've provided are just a few examples. Anyone can make a custom image file (weapon skin, or spray paint, or wad in a .bsp) inject code into it, and use your server, and clients connected to it to launch whatever code they want. In the links provided, these are image files used to inject code into web servers once the image is loaded. Meaning, once a spray is sprayed, or a client uses x weapon skin through GO market. Once sent to server/client cache, it then executes spraying a benign image, or rendering a benign looking skin, while behind the scenes it is also executing code. Now most of these script kiddies probably are just using the images to run hacks, which yes they can be just that benign. However, more sophisticated hackers can also use this to compromise entire networks, backbones, etc.

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 8:28 PM, devu4 <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is such a pointless thread, no proof and a big headed clueless guy
coming out with irrelevant crap!

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Custom files exploit

Stealth Mode
POC far as I know is always Point Of Contact. Or Professional Overseas Contractor.

Unless you are referring to Packet Order Correction in reference to networking. Which yes, even then, does not apply in this situation.

-StealthMode

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Alan Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
Did you read how that's actually exploited? It would require another malicious script to parse the exif tag and eval some PHP. How exactly would a similar situation occur on a hosted game server? Do you have a poc? You say this email chain is one but I dont think you quite know what you're talking about.

On Oct 10, 2017 9:15 AM, "Stealth Mode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This email is fine for a POC. Far as the exploit, for those who arent familiar, this is an example.

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Saint K. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have a POC?

Re: Custom files exploit

epicoder
PoC stands for Proof of Concept. We are asking you to provide proof that
you are not just pasting random articles on PHP. You have yet to show us
anything that would trigger any issues in srcds.

On 10/10/2017 10:26 AM, Stealth Mode wrote:

> POC far as I know is always Point Of Contact. Or Professional Overseas
> Contractor.
>
> Unless you are referring to Packet Order Correction in reference to
> networking. Which yes, even then, does not apply in this situation.
>
> -StealthMode
>
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:19 AM, Alan Love <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Did you read how that's actually exploited? It would require another
>     malicious script to parse the exif tag and eval some PHP. How
>     exactly would a similar situation occur on a hosted game server? Do
>     you have a poc? You say this email chain is one but I dont think you
>     quite know what you're talking about.
>
>     On Oct 10, 2017 9:15 AM, "Stealth Mode" <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         This email is fine for a POC. Far as the exploit, for those who
>         arent familiar, this is an example.
>
>         https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/Hiding-Webshell-Backdoor-Code-in-Image-Files/
>         <https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/Hiding-Webshell-Backdoor-Code-in-Image-Files/>
>
>         On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Saint K.
>
>             Do you have a POC?
>

>             *From: * Stealth Mode <[hidden email]

Re: Custom files exploit

Kevin C

Pretty sure by context it means proof of concept.

For CS:GO sv_allowupload 0 could easily be used to counter what you are claiming. This goes for any source game server but for games that allow sprays this would disable them.

[...]

Sven 'Chaos' Pachnit
It would require another malicious script to parse the exif tag and eval some PHP.

It would require another, poorly written script that handles the data in a poor and unsafe way.

ftfy ;)

He also - on multiple occasions - reminded us that this is a „old style of hacking“ and indeed, if you learned programming seriously in the last decade you should know that you don’t trust untrusted data, ever.
By his logic a .txt is completely unsecure (given that you eval() it in your shitty PHP code).