Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

Fletcher Dunn

Hello!  I’m back for another test.

We're planning on updating the method that CSGO servers uses to talk to Steam in the week or two.  We'd appreciate your help testing this change in advance to identify any potential problems.  When we ran this test before, we didn’t have a mechanism to bind the new websocket connection to a particular IP.  We realized that this was a necessary feature, and so the binaries in this test should include that functionality.  The method to select the IP to bind to is the same, so basically your current configuration should just work.

To see if this change will cause any problems with your setup, download this zip and follow the instructions in the readme.txt.  (Also pasted below.)

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/730/steam_bins_test_20171206.zip

Thanks for your help.  Post a reply here if you have any issues.  We're especially interested in hearing your results if you are running an older distribution of linux or have a complicated network environment.  (Multi-homed, NAT, etc.)

This change will also be coming to the older Source games, as well.  The binaries in this zip *should* be compatible with those games, although I haven't tested it specifically so there might be an issue.  We'll send a similar announcement to operators of those servers on the appropriate mailing list when we get closer to updating those games.

- Fletch

README.TXT:

Thanks for helping test compatibility with these new Steam binaries for the

dedicated server.

Place the files for your platform into your "bin" folder.  They should replace

files with the same name.  (steamerrorreporter.exe on Win32 is new.)

**PLEASE DELETE** the files listed below, if they are present:

                Linux:

                                libstdc++.so.6

                                libtier0_s.so

                                libvstdlib_s.so

                                libsteam.so

                Windows:

                                steam.dll

We believe that they are no longer be needed and we will no longer be shipping them.

Please let us know if this is not the case.

These binaries will communicate with Steam using the new WebSockets protocol. Previously

a bespoke UDP protocol was used.  You should see a TCP connection to a Valve server on

port 443, bound to a local ephemeral port.  There is currently no mechanism to control

what local port this connection is bound to.  However, it should obey your IP binding,

as before, and that is one of the main things we want to confirm with this test.

(The master server may refuse to list your server if the public IP used to talk

to Steam does not match the IP you are advertising for game traffic.)  It also should

obey HTTP_PROXY.  You also should be able to add "-udpforce" on the command line

to disable websockets and force the use of the old UDP protocol.  But please don't do this

unless you absolutely have to.  In the future WebSockets will be the preferred (and

better-supported) protocol.  The UDP protocol will likely be around for some time, but

eventually we'll phase it out.

Note that there is no change to the UDP protocols used to talk to clients, either game

traffic or for server browser pings.  This only changes how the gameserver talks to Steam.

For that purpose the local port has never been relevant.  As mentioned above, we do

require that the public IP match.

Things to test:

                * Does the server boot with those files deleted.  (Especially on old distros.)

                * Does the server have any trouble talking to Steam using websockets.

The connection_log[_xxx].txt file is also a potentially interesting source of

information about how your server is talking to Steam.

We will make a special announcement when we release the update that makes this change.

Until you see that announcement, you can assume that no change has been made to the

Steam binaries or method used to talk to Steam.

Re: Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

dedimark
Hi my server boot normaly.

but now

need to link

ln -s /home/user/Steam/linux32/steamclient.so ~/.steam/sdk32/steamclient.so

or to new steamclient.so?

ln -s /home/user/csgo/bin/steamclient.so ~/.steam/sdk32/steamclient.so

also sv_region 0 already fixed?

 thank you

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:16 AM, Fletcher Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David Parker
Hi Fletcher,

Seems to work fine on 64-bit Debian 8 (Jessie).  Haven't had any players join yet so I'm not sure if connections or gameplay will be affected, but the server itself started up just fine.  I'm running 6 instances of SRCDS on different IPs on the same box, and CS:GO still is bound to the correct IP.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 8:16 PM, Fletcher Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dave Parker '11
Database & Systems Administrator
Utica College
Integrated Information Technology Services
(315) 792-3229
Registered Linux User #408177

Re: Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

Fletcher Dunn

Sorry, I don’t understand your question.  Were there symlinks before?  What breaks if you don’t symlink anything?

Re: Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

dedimark
nothing breaks,i am ask ,what file to link :)

and how about sv_region 0 bug?

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 12:40 AM, Fletcher Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry, I don’t understand your question.  Were there symlinks before?  What breaks if you don’t symlink anything?

Re: Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

spyrek10

Re: Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

Ejziponken
I think it works for us on multihomed setup with Gentoo running.

I can start the server and I can find it in the browser and I can also
connect to it as a player. I didn't check any of that technical stuff with
ports etc since I dont know anything about that.

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/

Re: Compatibility test for incoming change (again)

Neuro Toxin
Can we please refrain from posting unrelated questions!

Lets not cry like babies about unrelated bugs to the testing/questions at
hand.

--
Sent from: http://csgo-servers.1073505.n5.nabble.com/