Choke in tickrate 128 servers

doomhammer69
Hello everyone.
Few updates and months ago, the choke was increased when the server has more than 20 - 25 players.
I already know that the choke is related to client side.
I have try to disable all plugins / addons, and the choke is still in 50 % choke when there are few players shooting, jumping, speaking or whatever.
I have try in Linux and windows both.
Rates are to 128 tickserver, rate 128000, indeed I have forced to everyone to put automatically rate. sv_minrate 128000.
sv_minupdaterate 128
sv_mincmdrate 128
The server company is "OVH game" wich has enough  badwith. Many months ago we have the same server config and the choke was 0 - 5 % wich is normal.

Another nooby question related to this.

If the net_maxroutable are 1200 we dont need at least to play in servers with tickrate 128
a rate of 153600 and not the limitted 128000 rate?
ics

Re: Choke in tickrate 128 servers

ics
Usually choke, if it's not network or config related, is caused by lack
of CPU power or memory. Even if you seem to have only 70% cpu usage by
average, it can spike to near 100 and cause issues.

Also, i've heard that you cannot avoid choke with larger player counts.

doomhammer69
It´s not a problem with the CPU usage, as I said, I have try with windows and multicore ( I know srcds is monocore) but in windows it can be possible to lauch srcdrs in more than 1 core and the CPU load it is shared.

Re: Choke in tickrate 128 servers

Michael Loveless
Not to mention you will see performance issues if your total machine CPU usage is going above 50%. 128 Tick puts a good amount of strain on a CPU. Even a second core on Windows only has the server's networking split onto it, if I remember correctly, so it's not like the 2nd core is really handling any of the server load.

NFO is probably the most reliable and high performance server provider available, and their dashboard for VPS and Dedicated Machines explicitly states that if your machine is using more than 50% CPU you may see issues with performance. That's definitely something to look into.

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Robin Groppe <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

to take it into a context. my i7-3770 can handle 20players with 128tick. not one more.
On linux it spawns 3 threads. two of them barely utilized. but the main thread is maxed out than. people tend to create totally underpowered servers. its making me sick. so what kind of cpu do you think you can serve 24players with 128tick?

Am 15.05.2016 15:56 schrieb "Michael Loveless" <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Intel  i7-4790K 4,0 / 4,4 GHz 32 GB RAM what ovh says about.
In windows we have 3 threads to the 128 tickrate server 32 slots, and when full there are the 3 cores about 50 - 60 %

Re: Choke in tickrate 128 servers

Neuro Toxin
I run this:

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/80909/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1241-v3-8M-Cache-3_50-GHz#@product/specifications

My max is 32 slots at 128 tick on casual with win 2008 and performance tweaks.

@ 32 slots i get yellow spikes during high action.

Re: Choke in tickrate 128 servers

Usman Khan
Been facing variance issues even on 10 slots 64tick default server running on Intel Xeon X5675 on Windows 2012 server.
Seems like srcds is not optimized or compatible, tried alot to do this and that with no help and variance stays at 0.386 approx instead of other peoples servers which have like 0.004 etc
I dont think more powerful processor should be required but no support to fix it