Quantcast

CSGO servers IPV6 support?

Sazid Hossain
Since the ipv6 adoption rate is increasing, is there any chance that valve will introduce ipv6 networking to CS:GO and its' servers?

Re: CSGO servers IPV6 support?

Gilles
I don't think there is native support for ipv6 in the engine. Maybe the source 2 engine will bring it soon.

But either way, I don't think it's needed as of now, and in Europe (and rest of the world for that matter) not every country or ISP has adopted the IPv6 protocol yet so you'd only mis out on demographic.

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Sazid Hossain <[hidden email]> wrote:
Since the ipv6 adoption rate is increasing, is there any chance that valve
will introduce ipv6 networking to CS:GO and its' servers?

Re: CSGO servers IPV6 support?

Robin Groppe
Of course this would be a good thing.
Native Dualstack is always a good thing.
Most people on LibertyGlobal are using DS-Lite.
Native IPv6-Support would eliminate bottlenecks in the carrier-grade NAT.
IPv6 is alive right now, and to be honest its a shame that it is not
used in 2017.

Re: CSGO servers IPV6 support?

lists@kelker.info
Fullack. I've wrote to the hlds_linux list in January 2015 about the
same topic,
since we have large ISPs (e.g. AS20825 Unitymedia) in Germany that are
using DS-Lite with all
it's ups and downs as well.

Besides that, I wrote their postmaster at the same time about the fact, that
their ipv6 mailinglist server doesn't accept incoming smtp connections,
resulting
in a timeout before the delivering mailserver switches back to their
ipv4 A-record.
Never got a response, neither did they fix the issue:

~# fping6 list-ipv6.valvesoftware.com -A
2620:f9:1:1::2001 is alive
-> it's pingable, but:

postfix/smtp[1972]: connect to
list-ipv6.valvesoftware.com[2620:f9:1:1::2001]:25: Connection timed out

Milton from Valve told in May 2011, that he was working on implementing ipv6
for their network (and stated, that they didn't even have ipv6 capable
network equipment until 2010).
Back then, his goal was to support ipv6 for the most basic things
(dns,www,mail) until about may 2012.

As far as I can see, they also neither have a AAAA record for
valvesoftware.com nor for steampowered.com.

Personally, I don't have much hope that they will work on IPv6 for their
games
if they don't even have their own infrastructure fully ipv6 ready...

But maybe Milton or somebody related to that topic from Valve reads it
and can give
us a short update about it?

Greetings
Kevin

Am 03.01.2017 um 12:47 schrieb Robin Groppe:

> Of course this would be a good thing.
> Native Dualstack is always a good thing.
> Most people on LibertyGlobal are using DS-Lite.
> Native IPv6-Support would eliminate bottlenecks in the carrier-grade NAT.
> IPv6 is alive right now, and to be honest its a shame that it is not
> used in 2017.

Re: CSGO servers IPV6 support?

Sazid Hossain
Since IPv4 is quite scarce now and getting a new IPv4 IP is becoming costly, I think Valve should consider adding IPv6 support. IPv6 adoption by Valve will increase IPv6 adoption by ISPs I think. Due to Apple's announcement of adopting IPv6, our country's ISPs are already on a roadmap to deploy IPv6.
Since IPV6 will make NAT kinda impractical due to abundant IPv6 IP, IPs will become an individual identity. I think it will help Valve as well as us server operators to track cheaters.