Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

spyrek10
Please allow maps bigger than 150MB to be downloaded in bz2 format. For now when you are downloading map which is bigger than 150MB after unpacking you will get error in console:
DecompressBZipToDisk: 'maps/am_roman_pt.bsp.bz2' too big (max 150.0 megabytes, use launch option -maxdownloadfilesizemb N to override).

I don't want to tell all my players to add additional launch parameters to their CSGO.

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

darulo
Agreed, Im running a surf server and we have a bunch of maps that are bigger than 150mb, we even decline some maps due to its size because they cant be compressed. Why is there even a limit here Valve?

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

Lukas Urbonas
Solution don't compress to bz2 or upload to workshop?

Agreed, Im running a surf server and we have a bunch of maps that are bigger
than 150mb, we even decline some maps due to its size because they cant be
compressed. Why is there even a limit here Valve?

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

spyrek10
Yes, but it's difference to download compressed 30MB instead of uncompressed 300.
Yes, workshop collection could be the solution.
ics

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

ics
You can compress the map bsp same way as the workshop does and the
compressed file is even lower or around same size than the bz2 one.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/BSPZIP

There is no need to bzip2 the mapfile anymore. However, you might still
need to setup workshop up if it's insanely large file. But huge filesize
maps are usually bloated with something and made wrong.

-ics

spyrek10 kirjoitti:

> Yes, but it's difference to download compressed 30MB instead of uncompressed
> 300.
> Yes, workshop collection could be the solution.

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

wordlesswind
sm_cvar net_maxfilesize <number>
But the speed is slow.

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

Kinsi
darulo wrote
Why is there even a limit here Valve?
because the bigger the files, the longer they take to decompress. Also, protection against zip bombs.

I agree that nowadays, 150MB is pretty low. I think 350MB should be a more adequate limit.
ics

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

ics
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/BSPZIP

See part about repacking map files. This will make them as tight as maps
that would be bzip2 packed over to sv_downloadurl.

If the maps you run still have issues of having too much stuff in it,
it's time to optimize or remove unneeded.

-ics

Kinsi kirjoitti:

> darulo wrote
>> Why is there even a limit here Valve?
> because the bigger the files, the longer they take to decompress. Also,
> protection against zip bombs.
>
> I agree that nowadays, 150MB is pretty low. I think 350MB should be a more
> adequate limit.

Re: Allow maps bigger than 150MB in CSGO client

Kinsi
ics wrote
If the maps you run still have issues of having too much stuff in it, it's time to optimize or remove unneeded.
The problem is that the map file has to be below 150MB BEFORE compressing. The bsp file can be no bigger than 150MB, otherwise CS:GO will not extract the downloaded bz2 archive. 150MB in size is easily reached in a mediocore detailed map.